Friday, August 2, 2013

My first rodeo

July 27, 2013
Tulsa, OK to Chandler, OK

This morning the group I was riding with wanted to grab some coffee before we left the city, but for whatever reason all of the coffee shops we went to were closed! This city has been pretty empty since we've been here but this was really weird. Anyway, we headed out of the city coffeeless, but thankfully for their sake found a cool Route 66 themed coffee shop a few miles down the road that a bunch of people stopped at. The sweepstakes for today was the weirdest thing consumed so I grabbed a menu and found the weirdest thing I felt I could keep down for the next 50 miles. What I landed on was chocolate Pepsi. They had vanilla, cherry, and strawberry as well but they didn't seem as strange. And strange it was! It kind of tasted like a float with chocolate ice cream, but by halfway I couldn't muster to drink any more of it. They never announced the winner for hat day, but I'm pretty sure I won. 


For the next 20 miles, we encountered the craziest dogs we've seen yet on this trip. They were growling at us, and the ones that weren't on chains or fenced in often came running after us, seemingly looking for blood. It was mildly terrifying. Luckily no one was hurt, although one dog did apparently do something to someone's tire. Lunch was at an amazing lake in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma. A few people had been swimming before I got there and didn't really recommend it so I just enjoyed the view of the water. 


We've started to follow Route 66 at this point so we were on it allllll dayyyy. It's not a terrible road so I don't really mind, but it's easier to zone out when you see that your next turn is in 45 miles. I was riding with three other people today, but two of us ended up breaking out up front and riding solo for most of the ride. It was one of the first times I've riden basically by myself and I actually really enjoyed it. We stopped every know and then to stretch and regroup as to not go crazy on the never ending road. Biking into Chandler, there were multiple signs advertising their rodeo that night. After dinner, a large group of us headed down. Turns out it only happens the last Friday and Saturday in July every summer and we just made it! I have to say I have never seen anything like it except in movies and I had no idea things like it actually existed in real life. So many people had on cowboy boots and hats, from the toddlers to the elderly. We saw some lassoing, hay bail push racing, bull riding, horse riding, and the best of all, kids playing capture the flag off of baby cow tails. I will embed the video soon because it might be the funniest thing you see all week. 





1 comment:

  1. Sarah..........I just caught up on you blogs. Keep the comments and pictures coming. We love them.

    PaPa in Stone Harbor........PS:

    (only 90 miles from Beaumont)

    ReplyDelete